Thursday, December 9, 2010

Remember When...

'John' came into the shop, he was moving slowly, showing his age. He told me he and his beautiful wife have been married for 50 odd years and he wanted to buy her a present. 
'Wonderful,' I said and tried to determine what he was looking for. 'Is it for an anniversary?' I asked.
‘No, not an anniversary.’
‘Oh, a birthday then?’
‘It’s not her birthday either. I just need to give her something special to celebrate the memories,’ John explained. His voice wavered a bit.
As I looked up from the display we were in front of I could see tears in John’s eyes. He wiped them away and looked back at me.
‘My wife has alzheimers disease,’ he said. ‘She doesn’t know me anymore. I know we don’t have much time left together and I need to give her something to help preserve the memories we’ve shared. Once she’s gone I want to have something that helps me remember. I don’t ever want to forget.’
The smile on his face was both wistful and sad. With a shy smile back, I linked arms with John, led him to the counter and helped him create a special charm for his wife to celebrate all the anniversaries they’ve shared together; bronze, silver and gold.

John left that day hopeful and I felt inspired by the depth of love he showed for his wife. True treasures are found in our relationships. Most of us know this, believe this. So what happens when that is challenged and the memories begin to disappear?

John reminded me that's when we live it for each-other.  That's when we give so much it hurts because we love so much, and it hurts sometimes. That is when we give 100% because our partner has nothing. And we made a promise. John’s wife is not able to remember, so he holds on to the memories for her.

2 comments:

  1. That charm is so beautiful and just perfect. Is there a link to look at more charms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leisa,

    You can visit www.linxandmore.com to see the collection. If you're in Calgary stop by the shop, we have a great selection.

    Terri ;)

    ReplyDelete