Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Brief & Pretty History of Charm Bracelets

Back much further than any of us can possibly remember ancient Persians used precious stones engraved with images of gods or animals as amulets. They believed wearing these ‘charms’ would ward off evil spirits.

Fast forward to the 19th century and charm bracelets become an elaborate accessory worn by the Victorians. Queen Victoria encouraged this fashion trend by wearing bracelets filled with miniature lockets. Inside each were pictures of the royal family.




Today charm bracelets run from simple designs to very elaborate jewels that can be personalized, running anywhere from a few dollars to a few thousand dollars. Though even with expensive bracelets, if you add to them charm by charm or bead by bead, the cost is very manageable. What results are gorgeous pieces of jewelry that reflect personal style.


Now I definitely know charms have no magical powers after being cut off in traffic by a rather unpleasant fellow on my way to work, and I have some serious bling on my wrists! I do, however, appreciate the significance they hold in my life. 




Each charm bracelet I create and add to is completely and uniquely me. My husband, my boys, and my friends and family add to my bracelets at birthdays and Christmas, or simply to show me they love me!



Stunning beads and charms from top designers like Thomas Sabo, Baci and Troll Beads have brought the charm bracelet into the 21st century with stylish designs. Their jewelry lines offer quality and beauty and a way to add pizzazz to any outfit, whether casual or formal.

Charms offer a personalized way to say 'thank you' to bridesmaids. Siblings can create a bracelet together as a special mother's day surprise. Almost any occasion is a perfect excuse to start building a memory that can be added to for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment